Technology Manager/Development Lead
Title: Technical Manager
Reports to: Head of Development
Location: Kuala Lumpur
Start Date: Immediate
Bonus: 2 months, awarded on meeting KPIs and overall company objectives
Benefits: RM50/month phone allowance, Standard holidays, Health insurance
Salary Range: 17,000-20,000 depends on experience
We’re in the auction business. We live and die by the hammer. In Australia we employ over 900 people and sell over 240,000 vehicles a year across 32 facilities including 5 in Malaysia. We are the dominant players and we plan to stay that way. It is a competitive industry and we like to win.
We’re looking for talented and driven tech leaders to take part in the creation of the largest and most comprehensive auctioning platform Australia and Southeast Asia has ever seen. We are expanding our technical capability by creating a Centre of Excellence in Malaysia.
This is the most senior technical leadership role in our team. Working with the Head of Development in Australia, you will be responsible for supervising the technical development of multiple streams comprising of cross functional skillset (front-end, back-end, integration, devops) in an onshore/offshore agile setup.
Your job as the Technical Manager leads a team to facilitate the production of key deliverables in the Pickles IT Group. The Technical Manager is also an expert in the technologies and development/deployment methodologies employed by Pickles and provides input, coaching, and mentoring across the group.
A career in the software engineering team at Pickles is a nexus of systems, information technology, science, and industry disruption. To do this job you need a passion for data and an out-of-the-box way of thinking about solving sticky problems with simplicity and elegance. We are not your normal team of professionals, we’re a scrappy, entrepreneurial, unconventional thinking team that is changing an entrenched industry with like-minded customers who are desperate to work with us to find a better way.
Our sellers are innovative thinkers but they are often found trapped in a banking and finance world filled with procedures and policies. They need our help to reach new buyers. Our buyers are savvy and ruthless deal hunters. Between the two groups is Pickles and the first-of-its-kind ground breaking tools, technologies, products, and marketing capability that brings everyone together into an open and competitive marketplace.
To be successful in this job you’ll need to think fast and think creatively. You can expect to work with a diverse set of people and technology. This includes solution design expertise, integration, deployment automation, testing automation, and dev/ops support.
We want results that put smiles on people’s faces and financial results in people’s bank accounts. We’re looking for delivery that becomes legend in the technology community.
We think job descriptions can only go so far. But to give you a flavour, here are some of the areas you’ll be responsible for:
- Start-up thinking – making it happen and finding solutions when uncertainty arises.
- Learning and working with others – we are a collaborative team; we like to think in terms of options and outcomes and making a decision then moving forward quickly.
- Execution – our model is well established in other countries; you’ll be responsible for strategically tailoring the model for Malaysia and also directly involved in execution. You will be directly accountable for our success.
- Provide management and technical leadership to multiple development streams comprising of cross functional skillset (front-end, back-end, integration, devops) in and onshore/offshore agile setup.
- Build a high performing development team from a capability, people & culture and process perspective comprising of multiple technology stacks covering front-end, back-end, integration and devops and core frameworks
- Provide technical options/design solutions in consultation with Head of Development
- Promote engineering excellence by providing hands on contribution to Development Centre of Excellence and core frameworks
- Provide coaching, mentoring, career development, performance management and talent management for individual team members
- Resolve key technical blockers for tribes (development, frameworks and devops)
- Define key development quality and productivity metrics and proactively monitor and execute improvements against the metrics
- Communicate at different levels with a variety of technical and non-technical audiences and stakeholders to present and articulate technical discussions
- Influence and/or negotiate on technical feasibility and options with a variety of technical and non-technical audiences and stakeholders
- Work alongside agile team counterparts (Delivery Leads) to ensure smooth delivery of projects.
Key Working Relationships
- The broader IT Group
- Business stakeholders
Experience and Knowledge
- More than 5 years’ experience as a Senior Developer and/or Technical Lead
- Strong experience in building and sustaining technical teams comprising of a variety of backgrounds – Front-end, Back-end, Frameworks, DevOps and QA engineers
- Strong experience in people management of technical teams that includes performance management, coaching, mentoring, talent management and career development
- Experience in managing multiple streams of development teams in an agile team structure
- Experience in working with remote teams
- Strong hands on experience in at least two of the following programming languages: Angular, Node, Java, .Net, React and Serverless
- Any experience on D365, Dell Boomi and Outsystems
- Strong hands on experience in building DevOps capability, CI/CD pipelines with at least two of the following: Azure DevOps, Team City, Octopus Deploy, Jenkins, Gitlab, Docker, Kubernetes
- Experience with working on at least one cloud solution; Azure, AWS, Google – Azure preferred
- Strong knowledge of code management, preferably Git
- Knowledge of integration solutions and platforms: Boomi, MuleSoft et al
- Knowledge of Atlassian tools: Jira, Confluence
- Strong experience working in an agile development setup
- Strong experience of web architectures and technologies
- Experience in working in a micro services architecture development environment
Any exposure to the following will be advantageous:
- Event driven programming and architectures
- Event streaming platform such as Kafka
- Prior experience as a Technical Architect
- Prior experience working for large transformation projects
- Experience working with a UX process
- Exposure to automated testing – functional, performance and security
Skills and attributes
- Strong technical leader with people and process management skills
- Ability to communicate at different levels with a variety of technical and non-technical audiences and stakeholders to present and articulate on technical discussions
- Ability to influence and/or negotiate on technical feasibility and options with a variety of technical and non-technical audiences and stakeholders
- Deep understanding of common design patterns for Front-end, and Back-end development and DevOps capability aligned with industry trends
- Experience working in cross-functional agile teams with a Scrum, Ceremonies and DevOps culture
- Strong systems, problem solving and analytical skills; exceptional verbal and written communication skills
- You must be detail oriented and include the words “hire me” in your cover letter or application to show you actually read this document.
- Excellent self-learner with high aptitude to acquire and master new technology skills
- Proven ability to work effectively with and contributing to the immediate team and to the Centre of Excellence
- Ability to evaluate and challenge functional and technical requirements and design
- Strong ability and desire to be able to work in an onshore/offshore environment
- Candidate must possess at least Bachelor’s Degree/Post Graduate Diploma/Professional Degree in Engineering (Computer/Telecommunication) or equivalent.
- At least 5 Year(s) of working experience in the related field is required for this position.
- Required Skill(s): devops, CI/CD, Azure, Team City, Octoput Deploy, jenkings, gitlab, docker, kubernetes, AWS, Git, Boomi, MuleSoft, JIRA, Atlassian, Dynamics, D365, Kafka, Outsystems, Front-end, Back-end, Frameworks, DevOps
- Preferably Manager specialized in IT/Computer – Software or equivalent.
To apply: email firstname.lastname@example.org with your CV and a short cover letter that quickly and uniquely describes why you are the right person for our team.